Friday, December 27, 2013

Science: Science experiments you can do from home and the classroom.

This post isn't so much about a single video, but a Youtube channel worth subscribing to.  I taught 7th grade earth science for 12 year before moving on into tech and math.  One of the methods of getting my students involved and enjoying my class was to perform experiments and then have brainstorming activities where students asked and answered questions.  I tried to do a little science activity everyday that would only take about 5-10 minutes just to either introduce a concept or simply to get my students excited to learn about science.  In fact when I moved to the High School to teach Math, I had the opportunity to teach some of my former 7th grade students.  They mentioned all the time how much they liked my class.  I would have some fun and simply ask them, "if you had fun and enjoyed the class, tell me something you learned."  Very few students actually mentioned a single topic, but instead mentioned some of their favorite science experiments.  I encourage science teachers everywhere to make sure you show, demonstrate, and create thinking activities that go beyond the textbook.

Now on to this particular post.  I would like to promote SteveSpanglerScience Youtube channel.  He has well over 100 science demonstrations and activities that don't cost much and many are very simple to do.  In this particular science video, SteveSpanglerScience demonstrates how to create a square bubble.  I thought Spongebob was the only one could create square bubbles, but apparently it is possible.  SteveSpanglerScience does an excellent job describing the process and give a materials list.

Subject:  Science (Experiments)
Grade Level:  K-12
Time:  1:45
Steve Spangler's Website


No comments:

Post a Comment